Yay! You just got your Invisalign!
Aligners are to be worn full-time with the exception of cleaning teeth and eating. The recommended minimum length of time is 20-22 hours per day.
- When the aligners are not in your mouth they are not working, so treatment is not progressing.
- If a period of time passes and aligners are not in the mouth, relapse can occur which will greatly affect treatment time
- Do not drink anything except plain water with your aligners in place
- Remember to brush after eating or drinking to prevent decay
- Each time you insert your new aligner, use your chewie. Bite the chewie multiple times along the full arch for 3 minutes daily. Aligners that are fully seated are necessary to move your teeth
Attachments either facilitate difficult tooth movements or keep the aligner stable. It is very important that the bumps, or attachments, on the teeth engage in the corresponding bumps in the aligner. Check attachments regularly and if one is chipped, broken, or loose, notify Dr. Thomas at your nect appointment so your treatment does not regress.
Changing to the next set of aligners at home
Change your aligners are instructed by Dr. Thomas
Clean your aligners at least twice a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste to prevent aligners from turning yellow. Brush your teeth every time you eat or drink, and floss once a day.
Other IMPORTANT things to know:
- Occasionally an aligner may have a sharp edge, if so, file it down with an emery board
- If you lose or break an aligner/set of aligners, proceed to the next set of aligners. It will feel tight. Use your chewie to help seat the aligner. If after 3 days the aligner is still tight, go back to the aligner before the one that was lost/broken and contact the office.
- Additional scans may be necessary during treatment. It is not an indication of something wrong, but simply a way of making adjustments in the treatment. Sometimes this is referred to as refinement.
- At the end of your first series of aligners, it may be necessary to wear another series of refinement aligners before the plan is completed
- If an attachment falls off, it is NOT an emergency. At your next appointment Dr. Thonmas will access whether it needs to be replaced
- Everyone will get small spaces between their teeth. This helps the teeth move.